Dr. Jart is a Korean skin care company popular worldwide for their Ceramidin and Cicapair skincare products that address skin concerns like redness and sensitive skin. While these products may be very effective, are they ethically sourced? Is Dr. Jart cruelty-free and vegan?
Dr. Jart is not a cruelty-free or vegan skincare brand. Their products are available in China, where cosmetics must undergo animal testing before they’re sold in stores. In addition to their animal testing policies, many of their products also contain animal-derived ingredients, making them a non-vegan brand.
In this post, we’ll dive into why Dr. Jart isn’t cruelty-free or vegan. We’ll also offer some cruelty-free alternatives to Dr. Jart.
This post contains affiliate links, and any purchases made through these links will result in a commission for me at no extra cost to you. Please read my Disclosure for additional information.
Is Dr. Jart Cruelty-Free?
Dr. Jart does not test the products they sell in the United States on animals. However, there are places (such as mainland China) where the government requires cosmetics to be tested on animals. To be able to sell their products in these places, Dr. Jart complies with the animal testing regulations.
Because they test their products on animals when selling in China, Dr. Jart is not cruelty-free. A cruelty-free brand would refuse to test any products or ingredients on animals, even if it meant not being able to sell those products in specific worldwide markets.
Is Dr. Jart Owned By A Parent Company That Tests On Animals?
In 2019, Estee Lauder purchased Dr. Jart. Estee Lauder sells their products in China and engages in animal testing when required by law.
So, in addition to the fact that Dr Jart is not a cruelty free brand, their parent company, Estee Lauder, also tests its cosmetics on animals.
Is Dr. Jart Certified Cruelty-Free?
Dr. Jart is not certified cruelty free by any of the major cruelty free certification organizations. This is because Dr. Jart tests their products on animals when selling them in China, where it’s required.
The two leading organizations that offer cruelty-free certifications are PETA and Leaping Bunny. These organizations provide cruelty-free certifications because there is a lack of federal oversight into what it means to be a cruelty-free company.
These organizations help clarify which companies are genuinely cruelty-free and which claim to be but still practice animal testing.
Companies hoping to be certified cruelty-free by PETA must sign a statement agreeing to comply with the following:
- The company must not test any of their products or ingredients on animals. This applies to both during and after production.
- They can’t buy supplies or ingredients from third parties who test their products on animals.
- They are not allowed to sell their products anywhere animal testing is required.
Leaping Bunny has a similar set of protocols, though their list of requirements is more stringent:
- The company may not test any ingredients or supplies on animals.
- They cannot obtain any ingredients or supplies from companies who test on animals.
- They have to regularly monitor their suppliers to ensure they aren’t engaging in animal testing.
- They can never sell their items in places where they are required by law to be tested on animals.
- They need to renew their commitment to the Leaping Bunny standards annually.
Is Dr. Jart Vegan?
Dr. Jart is not vegan. This is due to two reasons: they include animal-derived ingredients in their products, and they allow animal testing on their skin care products. Most vegans believe that a company cannot be vegan if they test on animals, regardless of whether they offer vegan products.
For example, Dr. Jart Cryo Rubber With Firming Collagen Mask includes collagen and glycerin.
Collagen is typically derived from animals. Glycerin can be derived from plants, but it’s also often derived from animals. Since Dr. Jart includes collagen in this formula, it’s easy to believe that they could also use animal-derived glycerin.
Another example of a non-vegan product is Dr. Jart Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment for redness and uneven skin tone, which contains beeswax. Of course, beeswax is derived from bees and is not vegan.
Do Dr. Jart Products Contain Animal-Derived Ingredients?
Many Dr. Jart products contain animal-derived ingredients. Non-vegan ingredients in their products include beeswax, glycerin, and lanolin. Unfortunately, to know for sure if a Dr. Jart product contains animal-derived ingredients, you need to read the whole ingredient label.
Dr. Jart doesn’t currently offer any products listed as being vegan, though some of their products may not include animal-derived ingredients.
Is Dr. Jart Sold In China?
Dr. Jart is offered for sale in China. China is one of the last places in the world to require imported cosmetics to be tested on animals.
Their laws have become more relaxed recently, but there’s no guarantee that products shipped to China won’t be tested on animals.
Cruelty-Free Alternatives To Dr. Jart
If you’re hoping to buy your skin care products from an ethical, cruelty-free brand, you’re not alone. Thankfully, many companies have gotten the hint and have adopted cruelty-free practices. Here are a few options you should consider instead of Dr. Jart:
- COSRX: If you love K-Beauty products, COSRX is a cruelty-free brand known for their best-selling snail mucin products and skincare products that target common skin concerns and conditions.
- Dear, Klairs: Another popular K-Beauty brand, Dear, Klairs focuses on skincare solutions for sensitive skin.
- Purito: Purito is a clean Korean skincare brand that is both cruelty-free and vegan. Their eco-friendly formulations are made with safe, natural ingredients.
- e.l.f.: This increasingly-popular low-cost skin care brand offers a variety of vegan face masks, makeup, and moisturizers. They’re even certified by both PETA and Leaping Bunny.
- Pacifica: Certified cruelty-free by PETA, Pacifica has a wide range of skin, hair, and sun care products.
Final Thoughts: Is Dr. Jart Cruelty-Free and Vegan?
While it’s unfortunate that Korean brand Dr. Jart is not vegan or even cruelty-free, many ethical companies out there provide ethical skin care products that don’t undergo animal testing.
If you try to find vegan options from Dr. Jart, be sure to read each listing in the product ingredient label to ensure there are no animal-derived additives or ingredients.
Thanks for reading!